Addressing Factors that Hinder and Support Athlete Gut Health
Sponsored by: Gatorade Sports Science Institute
The presentation is focused on how diet, exercise, and stress can impact the gut microbiota and gut health. We will also review some of the evidence regarding the gut microbiota of athletes and the effectiveness of probiotics in the prevention/treatment of GI symptoms, illness, and stress/anxiety.
After participation, the attendee should be able to:
- Explain how the microbiota is impacted by nutrition, exercise and stress,
- Explain how the microbiota plays a supporting role in immune health,
- Explain how performance is impacted by poor gut health, and
- Identify ways athletes can support and improve gut health.
Participants will be able to use the following takeaways in their daily work:
- Understand how dietary recommendations may impact gut health.
- Understand how stress and exercise may impact the gut microbiota.
Presented by Kris Osterberg, Ph.D., R.D., CSSD, FACSM