- To promote, encourage and develop the proper use of exercise science and technology to improve the exercise, sport and health performance of New Zealanders;
- To promote the importance of exercise for optimal sport performance and health;
- To educate persons involved in sport and exercise in the principles of sport and exercise science and their appropriate applications;
- To develop, promote and manage standards for individuals or agencies specialising in sport and exercise assessment and development programmes;
- To promote SESNZ and the role of sport science in New Zealand sport and to take the lead in developing a nationally coordinated approach to integrating sport science into sport at all levels.